Friday, February 14, 2014

There is Blessing in Death

My Devotion
My Heart
There is Blessing in Death
Teresa Jenkins

Then I heard a voice from heaven say, “Write:  Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.”  “Yes, says the Spirit, “they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them.”  Revelation 14:13

My mother is no longer a part of this life physically.  She will forever be in my heart and I pray that more of her appears in my actions, attitudes, and feelings.  During the process of funeral arrangements, my brother and sisters heard many times how they could see our mother in us.  My brother-in-law spoke, eloquently, lovingly, and with great conviction not only about my mother but her faith in Jesus and how she shared that faith with everyone.  He honored her by speaking honestly about the truth of death of those who die in the Lord.  Mother’s work is done, all she did in this life has followed her and she doesn’t have to work anymore.  But I pray that we will inherit the devotion in her heart to do all she did for her Lord and Savior.  That we in some way can carry on the legacy to love life no matter how hard it gets, and always do more than we have to and give more than we have to give.

I am not grieving the loss of my mother in death, I lost her several years ago to the disease that plagued her mind and body.  I have heard that the death of those who die with the saving knowledge of Jesus in their heart is the sweetest to witness.  I couldn’t believe it until the evening of last Wednesday when I was sitting next to my mother’s bedside as physical life left her frail body and her spirit went into eternity with Jesus.  That was a moment I will cherish always.

Death is not the end and that is the greatest blessing of all for we who believe.  My mother had much wisdom she gained not through any formal education, but from life, from faith, from the Word she believed with her whole being.  “I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday, and I love today.”  She could only have this kind of faith because of her trust and love for Jesus. 

Death is not loss but gain.  I am closer to my mother now and I rejoice in her victory over death.  Her death just made heaven even more inviting, more sweet for me.  Not that I plan on making that trip anytime soon, but I have more peace and understanding than I did before.  I am grateful in God’s wisdom He knew the exact moment she would join the great cloud of witnesses.  I am grateful that she is not suffering anymore.  My heart can hear her laughter and almost feel her spirit soar like it never has before. 

He will wipe every tear from their eyes.  There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.  Revelation 21:4

I cannot mourn her passing because she is free.  The chains that bound her are broken.  I can mourn the  loss of her physical presence in my life, but my heart refuses to be full of sorrow.  God’s grace has been more than sufficient for me and amazingly overwhelming as He has engulfed me in His peace that passes all understanding.  And in that peace I have been given unexplainable understanding.  

No comments:

Post a Comment